Thursday, April 12, 2007

From the New York Times today regarding Kurt Vonnegut's death...

"Mr. Vonnegut was born in Indianapolis in 1922, the youngest of three children... Mr. Vonnegut’s brother, Bernard, who died in 1997, was a physicist and an expert on thunderstorms."

This is fine and good except--an expert on thunderstorms is kinda' like someone who thoroughly understands Vonnegut's writing. (Or Vonnegut himself for that matter)

These types of people don't exist. As prevalent as thunder and lightning is, no one knows much about it... I once was talking to an atmospheric scientist and unknowingly called him a dirty name. (this after a tiring search to locate one)

I said, "There aren't too many fulminologists around, are there?"

He said," Well no, not if that's what you're looking for. I've been doing this stuff 25 years and have only heard the word fulminologist (lightning expert) about twice." (I think, for reasons I still don't understand, they prefer to be called atmospheric scientists... Me, I prefer the other. But, then again, who cares about me? And don't all answer at once... please. It's tough listening to nobody.

I tucked my tail between my legs, admitted that I was but a lowly intern and said I didn't know any better... Then I left quietly.

I suppose they're only called atmospheric scientists these days; I must have been searching for days past.

But the point remains, an expert in clouds and lightning is as informed as the average weather enthusiast when it comes to charge separation. No one understands, and people have begun to understand they should look for other things to study.

1 comment:

sarasel said...

Maybe you could become a fulmologist. A lot of work and reporters might come your way.